Monday, November 17, 2008

Moving on...

Many know me to be quite the cupcake fan, and the reputation was rightly acquired. Over the last few years, I've sought cupcakes from bakeries across Manhattan for the purposes of always knowing which one reigned supreme. The verdict? Crumbs. Always. And as much as I've been loyal to this wonderful treat, the dear cupcake, I almost hate to say, is suddenly being overshadowed by a sugary treat of a whole new dimension: the macaron.


It all started in Morocco. Throughout my time in Fes and Casablanca, I noticed women and children bearing trays of round white treats--cookies of some sort--not knowing quite what they were and resisting sweet things for reasons that made sense to me then and don't anymore. Finally, in Marrakesh, I decided that the little round cakes were simply too omnipresent--everywhere I looked, there they were, and like a moth drawn to the flame, I succumbed. Now I remember why I'd resisted all along. What if they're so delicious I become addicted? What if that's all I eat for my remaining time in Morocco? What if I can't find a replacement back in the States? All questions were legit--the macarons were gooey, coconutty, and I wouldn't exaggerate by calling them little bites of heaven.


For months, I sought long and hard--macarons are not big in the states, everyone wrote on message boards, and it is impossible to find the real thing even in NYC. Discouraged, I almost gave up. And then I started working in the fashion district, a few blocks south of Times Square. That's when I stumbled upon this little gem of a bakery, perfectly named: macaron. And with 30 some-odd flavors made in-house each day, I've finally found the real deal. They're Parisian style, not Moroccan, but they're every bit as delicious. And they even celebrate post-election pride!



Macaron is located at 161 West 36th Street (near Seventh Avenue), 646-573-5048.

No comments: