Tuesday, November 18, 2008

On Orangey Lemons or Lemony Oranges

I always laughed at Jessica Simpson's famous Chicken of the Sea gaffs back in the day, but I happened to make my own similar food mixup last week when I found this bizarre fruit:


A cross between a lemon and an orange, I had no idea what to call the thing. The woman at the counter clearly spoke Spanish, so I asked her (in my first language), what the orange lemon was all about. She laughed at my naivete, and told me to suck on the fruit for digestive relief. Unconvinced and curious, I picked up a few and brought them home.

What looked like an orange lemon tasted like an orange-y lemon. Slightly less sour, a bit sweeter, and more citric, the fruit seemed to promise more than just digestive relief. And yet, I didn't know what to do with it. I squeezed some into my water and made the most delicious orangey lemonade, and set the rest aside for more inventive uses. Aside from using the juices as a marinade, though, I am at a loss. If you had an orangey lemon, what would you do?

5 comments:

PE_Feeds said...

Adding the zest to a cake would be an idea. Even cutting a sliver in a drink would be quite amazing - add a tang to a sweeter mixture...

Unknown said...

make cranberry orange bread, and add some of the juice and zest!

Nicholas said...

oh man, that's like my two favorite fruits in one!

Lemonge juice.... mmmm....

Ashley said...

I love orange and lemon on white fish filets -- I think this would be a home run in my usual recipe. Obtain filets and place each on its own decent-sized sheet of aluminum foil. Dress with a little salt and black pepper, a drizzle of olive oil, a thin pat of butter, some minced garlic, some bread crumbs, two slices of your mystery fruit, and a squeeze of the mystery fruit's juice. Fold up the foil to form a packet and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.

Ariel said...

Here in India we have orange-y limes and lime-y oranges. The orange-y limes are called mosambi, or sweet limes. The lime-y oranges are called greens.

It is one crazy mixed-up world... or is it Crayola's world?