Monday, September 15, 2008

Red's Dollar Store

Reading about the aftermath of the "most extraordinary 24 hours on Wall Street" I started to wonder just how bad our economy would get before it started to get better. Fed up with my pessimistic train of thought, I instead turned to a new idea. Even with the economy deep in the sewage system--even with the dollar quickly plummeting in value--I was on a mission to find just how much we can still get for a buck of our quickly deteriorating currency.

Well, I'm happy to report that the results aren't too grim! A single dollar (or less!) will buy you any of the following.
These cute tealight holders are just 99 cents at Ikea. I have some that look a lot like this, and they never fail to cast a pretty glow on my walls.


These little Japanese-styled teacups look adorable on a bamboo place mat, and they match my brown teapot! Ringing in at 90 cents a piece, the price tag is much smaller than this pitiful little photo :)




I was pretty shocked to find a whole set of kitchen utensils for a single buck, but even that's still possible! Will they melt if you leave them too close to the pot? Probably. But for just another buck, you can replace them once again!


Last on my list is this pretty glass vase, surprisingly the cheapest item on my list at a shocking 49 cents! Can you imagine putting a few of these lined up on a window sill and sticking single sunflowers into them? The contrasting colors would surely be beautiful, but the flowers would be tons more expensive than the vases themselves! Oh, the irony.

Well friends, there you go. The economy may be in shambles, but we can still afford some pretty things... thank goodness for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Reminds me of all the amazing decor opportunities in Chinatown, when you get into those huge mall-stores that have the most random amazing stuff.

I think I'm gonna need to recruit you for interior decorating help if I move back to NYC. :)