Tuesday, September 16, 2008

It's a Zoo Out There!

As I take a short break from my newly acquired, photo-related work duties, I'd like to share a little something funny that I stumbled upon. Today, it seems, auction network is holding an event to raise awareness and proceeds for some of the world's coolest (and most threatened) animals. 

What are they auctioning? Unlike Damien Hirst's trademark "animal-in-formaldehyde" pieces, which auctioned last week for 62 million British pounds, Auction Network is focusing on animal-made paintings. Basically, they've let a whole bunch of super-cute animals--red pandas, raccoons, and elephants to name a few--scamper around with buckets of paint to see what would happen. The result is being sold live online starting at 4PM. 


Cute news, plus it's the perfect little tribute to my roommate who just started a job at the zoo today! Congrats, roomie!

2 comments:

Zachary said...

There was an elephant at the zoo in Jackson, Miss., where I grew up, who painted regularly. It was amazing. My mom has one hanging in out kitchen. He even took color requests to match the decor of the intended room!

Ashley said...

Oof. I'm just glad that The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living will stay at the Met for a while -- it's my favorite!