Monday, August 18, 2008

Indulging My Sweet Tooth, Street Cart Style

This weekend, I had the pleasure of hosting a friend of mine who I hardly ever get to see. Since her time in the city was limited, we crammed in a lot of inexpensive fun to maximize our productivity. With that mindset, I took her to one of my favorite spots: Dessert Truck.


Generally, I like foods that come out of trucks. They're made with heart, and they have to be fresh because there's nowhere to store uneaten goods in a truck. Street carts usually serve things like tacos or Halal food, but Dessert Truck was one of the first carts to one-up standard street food by spinning it gourmet-style.

Jerome Chang, the chef behind Dessert Truck--and a former pastry chef at Le Cirque--really knows what he's doing, and he'll serve you quality desserts for $5 a piece out of his cute little truck. The chocolate bread pudding is a sure-fire winner, but I decided to be daring this weekend and try the goat cheese cheesecake that's been received mixed attention from DT fans.


To be honest, I found it far too goat-y and not sufficiently cake-y, but I appreciated the attempt regardless. Savory desserts are tough to pull off, so I was glad that we also ordered the Molten Chocolate Cake. A much more successful pairing of savory and sweet, this dessert is topped with a sprinkle of sea salt and pistachios to contrast the richness of the oozing chocolate.


In case you're wondering why I'm posting about Dessert Truck and not any of the other great things that caught my eye this weekend, I bear some interesting news. Starting today, Dessert Truck is operating during daytime hours in Midtown East, parking at Park Ave somewhere between 51st and 53rd streets. For all you Midtown-ers, this is huge news! Now you can get award-winning sweets whenever the office stress warrants sugar therapy (and don't deny that it happens all the time!). Enjoy!

3 comments:

Ariel said...

I am so jealous.

I want Dessert Truck.

I think that, between the hours of midnight and 8 a.m. NY time, Dessert Truck should relocate to Mahim, Mumbai, ideally right outside my apartment.

Can you pass on the message?

PE_Feeds said...

Your friend lives in MUMBAI?!???!?!

yay

haha sorry, yeah, it's kinda nice that Dessert Truck is just 'round the corner...49th st seems even more appealing now

Ashley said...

Dessert Truck will be walking distance from my office?! Whoa, that's dangerous knowledge...