Monday, June 8, 2009

Recipe Lust -- Pasta Salads Galore


A few months into work with little semblance of a cafeteria or reasonably priced lunch options to rely on, I've started to hit a wall when it comes to packing lunch. I'm not the kind of person who can just eat a sandwich every day, and I've met my limit for hummus and veggies as well. (The last time I did that was after a summer spent in Israel--didn't eat anything that resembled chickpea spread for literally three years.)

The biggest problem for me is that my office, believe it or not, lacks a refrigerator, which means that lunch options diminish rather quickly (and that my new-found obsession with yogurt doesn't translate well for office lunch, rats). When I found a "Bombay Salad" at my local supermarket (pasta, chicken, mango chutney, curry, raisins, and celery), I got hooked to the idea of making inventive, unique pasta salads as a solid lunch option with nearly endless variations. My first attempt to recreate the Bombay was only semi-successful, but I think I've now found some recipes that will require a little less guess work. Here's the short list, for your experimentation and enjoyment!


Greek Orzo and Shrimp
, via Bon Appetit
Grilled Lemongrass Beef and Noodle, via Gourmet
Noodle Salas with Mango and Gingered Cucumber, also via Gourmet


[photo via taste.com.au]

No comments: