Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Good Enough to Eat... Again! -- Ramen Quiche

I know Good Enough to Eat is usually a Monday thing (every other Monday, at that), but I've decided to switch it up a bit for my own sanity and convenience this week.

Honestly, this week has been more hectic than I could have imagined, and it's only Tuesday. But my workload has literally doubled and with a new freelance project to eat away at my free time, I have less and less time to devote to glorious weeknight meals. It's a good thing I found incredibly cheap already-marinated meats at my gourmet grocer yesterday (like ginger-teriyaki spare ribs for $4 a pound!) but it's also quite fortunate that I found this super dirt cheap recipe, which can easily feed me lunch for an entire week and save me oodles (noodles?) of morning time.


Ramen Quiche
adapted from the Food Network Magazine

What You'll Need...

1 package ramen.........................$0.25
1/2 bunch leafy green.................$1.00
3 eggs...........................................$0.75
1 cup mushrooms, chopped........$1.00
1/2 cup grated parmesan............$2.00
1-2 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
3 tbsp. olive oil
salt and pepper

Total Cost............................$5.00
Cost Per Serving..................$0.84


What You Do

1. Remove seasoning packet from ramen and soak noodles in a big bowl of hot water to soften. After about 5 to 7 minutes, gently pull apart the noodles and strain.

2. Toss noodles with salt and pepper to taste and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Add in veggies and seasoning, and toss.

3. Beat the eggs and add to the mix. Blend all ingredients together until evenly dispersed.

4. Heat remaining olive oil in a large skillet (medium heat) and pour the mixture in to cook. Press down with spatula if it doesn't seem like it's quite coming together. After about 8 minutes, flip the quiche onto a plate and slide it back onto the skillet so that the opposite side cooks through. Wait 5 to 10 minutes, cut into slices and enjoy!

No comments: