Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Budget Finds: Foodzie, AKA Food Lover's Paradise

I'm particularly excited about Budget Finds this week because this wonderful little gem is a whole collection of budget purchases just waiting to be made! Many of you are probably already familiar with one of my favorite sites, etsy, and the wonderful collection of homemade and budget-friendly everythings that it has to share. The one thing etsy is really missing? Food. Sure, they have a food section, and sometimes the offerings are tempting. But searching for food on etsy is nothing like, say, searching for vintage clothing or handmade jewelry on etsy.

That's where Foodzie comes in. Modeled after the super-success of etsy, Foodzie shares both a cutesy name and business model with its predecessor. Search through the various categories--bakery, cheese, olive oils and vinegars--and find a plethora of edible bargains right at your fingertips (er, keyboard keys?).


My favorites? These passionfruit marshmallows combine one of my most constant loves (passionfruit) with one of my obsessions du jour (homemade marshmallows), ringing in at a ridiculously inexpensive $6.00 a dozen with an endorsement from my oh-so-esteemed pseudo-mentor, Ruth Reichl. That's 50 cents a piece, people!!


This pomegranate teriyaki sauce looks absolutely delicious. Without having tasted anything like this before, I can only speculate as to how the sweetness and acidity from the pomegranate would play off of the familiar saltiness of soy. Talk about a complex marinade that'll keep guests guessing--and just for $7.99 right here.


My last pick takes me back to my childhood. It's a blend of multi-colored popcorn, except I'm fairly sure that the only colorful popcorn I had as a kid was artificially colored. I could be wrong. Either way, this cool blend lends its colors to heirloom corn varieties rather than food coloring, and it clocks in at just $4.95 for a pound and a half.

And that's without even touching the chocolate and cheese sections. Trust me, this is one budget find you really won't want to miss!


pssst! Missed the link? Check out Foodzie right here.

No comments: