Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Bounties of Fall

(Red has been trying to post this since yesterday, but having to copy/paste in periods is messing with blogger's mind_ For that reason, and for that reason only, Red is attempting to salvage her post by replacing periods with underscores_ Like so_ Apologies for the terribly horrendous awkwardness of it all_)

And so the post begins_ _ _

Where I grew up, the only indicator of fall was the start of the school year_ The leaves didn't change colors, the weather didn't cool, and the supermarkets never made a big deal out of squash_ Seasons are one of the reasons why I love living in the Northeast, and apples are one of the reasons why I love the fall_ This past weekend, I had the wonderful pleasure of going apple picking with TWB and a bunch of his new friends from med school_


We bonded, we ate, we climbed, and occasionally came close to losing our shoes in the mud (OK, maybe that was only me)_ But the best part was coming home with a huge bag of apples waiting to be turned into pie_ _ _


If you're lucky, TWB's famously perfected recipe for apple pie will grace the pages of this blog sometime very soon! (wink, wink!)

But before I head out for the evening, I wanted to share the coolest kitchen gadget that I've seen in a while--I'm calling it the Apple WIZARD!



This guy cores, peels, and slices apples in one swift go_ And, as TWB noted, it's pretty impressive how little resistance you're met with when the apple meets the blade_

The Apple Wizard, also known as the Apple Peeler-Corer in Boring-Name-Land, is available right here at Williams Sonoma_

Stay tuned for more on apples, including the perfect pie recipe and a link of the day for tomorrow that'll help you use up the rest of your apples (post-pie, of course)!

3 comments:

Ashley said...

That is the most beautiful apple pie I've ever seen -- and it's sealed and vented properly to avoid oven disasters, to boot!

PE_Feeds said...

Wait, that wasn't for work???? :-(

And yes, the climbing (for all of us) will never end, since, well, the top always keep growing...

Ariel said...

I have that apple peeler/corer at my house in Albany!!! It's amazing because we've had it since I was a little girl, and it still functions perfectly. Amazing for applesauce, pies, baked apples, etc etc etc. AMAZING all around.