Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Let There Be Light... Or Not?

My roommate and I finally signed an apartment yesterday, and that means I'm officially allowed to think about decorating. Obviously, we're on as restricted a budget as ever, because the start-up costs of Manhattan apartments exceed your typical shopping spree at Tiffany's. Well, almost.

Though we're leaving the village, we're doing it in style. Our new, Upper East Side apartment is a beautiful 2 bed/2 bath duplex with a private patio, and we're hoping to throw our housewarming party in our gorgeous outdoor space. But just thinking about it, I feel like I've made one big mistake. Don't worry--it has nothing to do with the apartment itself. But if you flash back to early June, that's when the mistake happened.

My wonderful boyfriend and I were traveling in Morocco when I stumbled upon the most beautiful lanterns. They dotted the patios of our hotels and lit up shops in the souks with their stained glass panels and cut-out designs.


I was tempted--so tempted--but I resisted. Where will I ever put these, I thought?


Ah, if only I'd known I'd be throwing a garden party in my own patio a short three months later.


These babies are available online, but unlike in the souks, they'll cost you a pretty penny to buy and ship. Check The Moroccan Bazaar and Casbah Decor for prices if you feel so inclined!

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Congrats on signing the new apartment! That's so so exciting! I can't wait to see pictures of all the decorating you're going to do. You did such an amazing job with your Woodbridge home that I can only imagine the best for this UES flat.

Beautiful lanterns, by the way. Perhaps I can find something in Israel or India for you... Hmmm...

Jamila said...

Oh wow... I feel as if my own story is being written in this blog, what a strange feeling!

I too left the village and moved to an Upper East Side duplex with private backyard (with boyfriend, not female roommate = 1 bedroom). We loved it. I brought my carpets from Morocco... I made him get rid of most of his ugly furniture... I put up a Moroccan lantern above our bed... It was such a beautiful place. In Morocco, the outdoors is often considered part of the indoors, so having an outdoor space I think is key to Moroccan-style living. Good luck!