Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Craigslist's Redemption

Yesterday we learned that Craigslist can be sketchy, sketchy, sketchy.

Today, we learn that it can also be a gold mine for anyone willing to take a chance!

As I board my trusty Bolt Bus to head back to the city, a 212 number pops up on my cell phone, which rings to the tune of "Sugar Pie Honey Bunch" and makes everyone look up and laugh.

I answer, expecting someone from my temp agency, or perhaps from my freelance workplace, but hear a man's unfamiliar voice instead. He's calling from a big magazine at Hearst. One that fits really well with my interests. Scratch that--it's not a good fit, it's practically perfect.

But I didn't apply to a job there... or did I? It's so hard to keep track. But I would've remembered that one...

And then I remember that somewhat sketchy ad on Craigslist: "Big Hearst magazine looking for editorial assistant"

I'd wondered if it was legit, and why it wasn't on their careers website. I figured it was a scam--too good to be true.

But I was wrong. Behind all the scams and money laundering ads, there are little golden nuggets that are tucked in the depths of Craigslist--and I've just found one.

No comments: