Monday, June 15, 2009

Good Enough to Eat... Again! -- Super Fast Crab Salad

I walked up and down the aisles at Trader Joe's yesterday looking for just the right thing to stock my lunch supply this week--anything but cold cuts! Disparaged, I came home with plenty of dinner and snack options (pomegranate greek yogurt, anyone?) but nothing for the lunches. I had brunch leftovers to tide me over for a day while I regained some inspiration. With the pressure on, I hit the stores again today, and alas, came up with a new idea. But then there's the problem--my ideas are always generated mid-store, and with no internet in my pocket, the recipes can only be generated in my head as far as memory can take me. That's how I came up with the simplest crab salad.


Red's Super Fast (And Not Unhealthy) Crab Salad

What You Need
1 package of imitation crab meat (if you're not on a budget, splurge!)
1 package of slaw mix (shredded carrots and cabbage)
3 tbsp light mayo (I used the Smart Balance kind that's actually good for you)
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Approximated total cost........$7.00
Cost per serving.....................$3.50

What You Do
1. Cut crab into smaller, more manageable pieces.
2. Add mayo, slaw mix.
3. Add lemon juice and spices. It's really that easy.

Next time, I'll get a little fancier and try the pictured version by Gina, a healthy Latin-inspired recipe with avocado, right here. And if I'm really feeling fancy, I'll throw in some julienne mango as well!

No comments: