Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reversible Type

I was reading this month's issue of Wired with a friend when we came across a small piece on Ambigrams, a new trend in typography that involves lettering which can be flipped and reversed while maintaining its message. Here's an example that I really like:


As cool a concept as this is, Ambigrams have been largely contained within the graffiti style, sticking to street lettering (perhaps a bit more flexible to work with). I'm looking forward to seeing how Ambigrams are used creatively for design purposes--and in different styles, perhaps more modern and glam. I can see restaurants using them creatively on interesting menus, and this site has started combining couples' names into a single Ambigram which has some interesting potential as well. Call it an early trend-spot, but I have a feeling these will become a bit more mainstream in the months ahead.

No comments: