Monday, April 13, 2009

Good Enough to Eat... Again! -- Mom's Cauliflower Cake

When I hosted a small Passover Seder in my apartment last week, I had a last minute mixup that I really should have expected. No matter how much you plan (even if you have a schedule set up three weeks in advance!) it's impossible to cater an event without a hitch. Mine was a general lack of kosher for passover egg noodles, which threw off my attempt to make Passover kugel, a yearly favorite. But at the end of the day, kugel without noodles is, well, nothing, so I had to resort to a quick and easy alternative. After a quick call to my ever resourceful mom, I decided to make what's known in my family as "Cauliflower Cake." It was a great decision--it was ready in no time, cost hardly anything, and disappeared before I could remember to take a photo. Had there been leftovers, I gladly would have eaten them again and again.



Mom's Cauliflower Cake

What You'll Need

1 head of cauliflower (or 1 large bag frozen)......... $2.00
1 block of mozzarella cheese, shredded................. $3.00
1/4 fresh paremsan................................................ $1.50
2 eggs...................................................................... $0.50
Salt and pepper to taste
Total Cost.................................................. $7.00
Note: This fed eight as a side dish, but it would easily make two to three full vegetarian meals!
Total Cost per Meal................................... $2.33


What You Do

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If using fresh cauliflower, cut stems and discard, leaving just the little florets. Place florets, frozen or fresh, in boiling water until they are soft, about 8 minutes.

2. Strain and transfer cauliflower to a large bowl. Mash with a fork or potato masher, and add two eggs. Mix. Add salt and pepper to taste.

3. Spray a small baking dish with non-stick spray, and use about half the cauliflower to create a first layer. Cover with half the shredded mozzarella, and repeat. Top with parmesan and place in preheated oven for about 30-45 minutes or until golden on top. Enjoy!

No comments: