Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Neither Fingers not Limes.... Discuss!

I've been eating a lot of limes lately. My boss mentioned that they were good for breaking up phlegm one day and, realizing that I love eating limes anyway, took that as a good excuse to do so. More info than you wanted to hear? Sorry.

But yes, I have a strange but true love for naturally sour and acidic fruits--limes, lemons, passion fruit, you name it. And that's only one of the reasons that these cool new fruits caught my eye....



These, my friends, are called finger limes. The flesh comes in little pebbles rather than segments--they're the caviar of the citrus world, if you will.

Finger limes are produced exclusively in Australia, where they grow in about five common varieties (about 75 supposedly exist, and they range in color from clear to green to purple). Discovered only in the last decade, they're still difficult to find outside of Oz, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my dear Food Emporium will one day stock them alongside their myriad options of bizarre worldly eats. But please, if you happen to see limes masquerading as mini-cucumbers with raspberry-colored insides, let me know?

1 comment:

PE_Feeds said...

Union Square Green Market. I remember seeing these guys, just don't remember which booth...

sorry :(