Monday, December 22, 2008

DIY Madness--Shot Glass Menorah!

As I was gearing up for the onset of Chanukkah, I realized that I was lacking something very important... a menorah! I have tons and tons of candle-holding vessels around the apartment--at least 15 different votive holders, 2 pairs of very tall sculptural candle holders, Shabbat candle holders, you name it. But a menorah? That I was seriously lacking.

Committed to scrounging something up using a combination of the aforementioned vessels, I started counting up like kinds and figuring out what things I had eight of. With only six of any one kind at most, I knew I'd have to look elsewhere, when my gaze shifted to my tall shot glass collection (which, I swear, gets used mostly for egg cups. This reminds me that I need to buy egg cups). Eight votives in tow, I knew I had a solid foundation. A large inverted glass would serve as my shamash--the basics were covered.



But something seemed a little un-kosher about using shot glasses for religious purposes. Even though most Jewish holidays require some form of drinking or another, I set out to disguise my oh-so-college-appropriate contraption and make it, well, a little more grown up. Some scraps of wrapping paper, tape, and a piece of ribbon later, this is what came out.


The color choice could be tweaked for much cuter results--next year maybe I'll get double-sided wrap in dual tones! Ohhh, the possibilities...

2 comments:

PE_Feeds said...

I don't know if you having 8 shot glasses around comforts me...

Haha, just kidding. Happy Chanukkah!

Ariel said...

Clever! I love your creativity... and miss you! Skype soon? I hope?

Happy Hanukkah!

P.S. You'd be proud - I made homemade applesauce, regular latkes, and sweet potato latkes (with cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla), from scratch!, last night for our Bombay Hanukkah party.