Friday, October 17, 2008

A Perfectly Rooibos Pick Me Up

As far as my experience has taught me, there are two very distinct kinds of latte art.

This is one kind of latte art:



And the other is a whole lot more conceptual: finding non-coffee substances that make creative spins on the latte (and that still taste good!).

Flour bakery, a gem in the South End of Boston, is pioneering a new kind of latte beverage that's gaining quick popularity: the Rooibos Latte. Rooibos is an African Red Tea famous for its antioxidants and healing properties. It's a miracle for an upset stomach, and any health-freak's best friend. But in latte form, it's a whole other ballgame. I don't like my tea sweetened or with milk usually, but this was a great change of pace for even my traditional tastes.

At Flour, they don't use coarse Rooibos, which normally looks like this:


Instead, they have the coarse Rooibs finely ground so that the texture of the latte is perfectly smooth and just right.

So next time you find yourself wanting a little pick-me-up, see if your nearest cafe has caught on the trend--I hear it's spreading quite quickly!

PS. The laptop technician is coming today! The period will finally return to eatmywords on Monday morning! Be excited!

No comments: