Saturday, September 6, 2008

Opened Doors in Unexpected Places

Three days after TWC was supposed to come install cable and internet, I still have nothing. Hence the strange absence of yesterday's post. But since tapping internet is a bit more stable today than it was yesterday, I'll break my normal habits and post on a Saturday.



You see, the two interviews I'd mentioned a few days ago both went quite well. The paid job offered me a second interview for next week, and the internship (though unpaid) gave a great vibe. But the surprise twist came with an email from the Big Desireable Company that I've been trying to claw my way back into. An intern needed in the photo department of my favorite travel mag? Really? Sure, I'll interview. After all, I've always been interested in photo...



I arrived to the familiar building and got up to the right floor, plopped myself in the comfortable chairs and waited for my interviewer. "Let's just chat here--we'll be quick and it's a mess in there on Fridays," he told me as he came out, speaking in an Australian accent to die for. Sure, why not? We chatted for a bit and then he changed his mind. "Let's go to the back and I'll introduce you to a few people." As we wound through the corridors and made our way to the photo department, I wasn't sure what the signals indicated.



We pop into someone's office, and Mr. Aussie grabs her attention with, "I wanted to introduce you to Red, she'll be interning with us starting this month." I turn around and look at him, partly in confusion, partly in excitement.

"I will?"

"Sure, why not."

And so it is. Life in the magazine world warrants two things, it seems: well-roundedness and post-grad internships. I thought I'd be able to sidestep the nasty pattern that so many budding editors find themselves in, but alas, here I am, finding a way to get "credit" for an internship with a laughable stipend. But you know what? I'm actually happy about it--I feel like I'm making progress here, and finally am making my way back to that Holy Grail of publishing, the Big Company.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, those are pics from the new magazine... fitting since I'm going to be in photo now! Beautiful, aren't they?

5 comments:

Ashley said...

So exciting!

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

oooh, how very awesome!!! I would love to learn more about photography. You're a lucky girl!!

PE_Feeds said...

Life is crazy, ain't it?
Congrats!!

Q said...

congrats pretty lady!!!
xoxo

robin laws said...

yes beautiful and congratulations! ...you have a great attitude. you never know where that crooked little path my lead :)